Image of the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19, the disease that flared in Wuhan, China, in late December | National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Rocky Mountain Lab
Forty-three people have now died of COVID-19 in Michigan — up from 24 reported on Tuesday.
A statewide coronavirus hotline is open 7 days a week from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 1-888-535-6136. Information can be found on the DHHS website or the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention website.
There are now 2,295 positive cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by a new coronavirus, as of 2 p.m. Wednesday, although state officials believe the actual number of cases is much higher. There were 1,791 cases as of Tuesday afternoon.
So far, 12 deaths have been reported in Detroit, 10 deaths in Oakland County, nine in Wayne County, seven in Macomb County, three in Washtenaw County, one in Kent County and one in Livingston County.
According to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), 51% of people with confirmed cases have been men, and 49% of them were women.
Data from DHHS indicate that Detroit, Wayne County, Macomb County and Oakland County have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 outbreak.
COVID-19 is now in 47 of Michigan’s 83 counties.
The new state-reported numbers only recently began incorporating data from other commercial and private labs and hospitals around Michigan, which caused an apparent spike in numbers that speaks more to the number of cases just now being publicly reported.
The first two cases of COVID-19 were reported in the state on March 10. Gov. Gretchen Whitmer declared a state of emergency that day.
The World Health Organization reports that there are more than 413,000 confirmed cases worldwide and 18,000 deaths. In the United States, there are more than 51,000 confirmed cases and almost 800 deaths.
Gov. signs order extending primary canvass deadline
Whitmer signed an executive order Wednesday in order to extend the deadline to complete the canvass of the March 10 presidential primary election to April 24.
As counties practice social distancing guidelines, some will not complete the canvass for the primary election by the statutory deadline. The counties remain in the best position to complete the count, and this executive action will ensure that happens. Without action, state employees would have to restart the count, which Whitmer said would waste time and resources during the COVID-19 crisis.
“This important Executive Order ensures county canvassers have extra time to complete their work following the March 10 Presidential Primary and that state resources remain focused on addressing this public health crisis,” Whitmer said.
Kids can still get meals during stay at home order
School meals will continue to be served to Michigan children during the “Stay Home, Stay Safe” order signed by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer on Monday, according to the Michigan Department of Education.
“Families will still be able to access meals for their children through this challenging time,” said State Superintendent Michael Rice. “I thank all of the school employees and volunteers for continuing their commitment to feeding the children of our state. Ensuring Michigan’s children continue to get the food they need every day is vitally important.”
The order, which went into effect Tuesday, directed Michigan residents to remain at home, prohibiting public and private gatherings among non-family members and barring non-essential work activities.
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.