Advance Notice: Briefs

Michigan gets $3.8M in federal cash to help unemployed

By: - June 28, 2021 10:27 am

Erik S. Lesser/Getty Images

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity (LEO) have announced $3.8 million in federal funds have been awarded to the state’s Michigan Works! network to provide reemployment services to help eligible unemployed Michigan residents return to work amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

“This $3.8 million investment is yet another boost to the hardworking people of Michigan as we emerge from the pandemic,” said Whitmer in the statement. “We are focused on getting things done that will make a difference in people’s lives right now – that includes supporting Michiganders with the services and support they need to get back to work with better jobs and bigger paychecks.”  

The effort allows Michigan Works! agencies to administer support services to Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) claimants deemed most likely to exhaust their unemployment insurance benefits. The support is provided through Reemployment Services and Eligibility Assessment (RESEA). State officials called RESEA “an evidence-based program focused on individualized assessments, reemployment services and referrals to support individuals receiving unemployment benefits so they can return to work quickly.”

Funding is provided through an award from the U.S. Department of Labor.

The collaborative helps ensure claimants who most need RESEA services will receive them, officials said. In 2020, more than 13,000 claimants participated in the RESEA program.

“The Reemployment Services and Eligibility Assessment program has a proven track record of helping unemployed Michiganders return to work quicker,” said Susan Corbin, LEO acting director. “Helping workers who are struggling to recover from the economic effects of the pandemic is essential – at the same time, we are helping Michigan employers get the talent they need to grow and thrive.”

Claimants must be referred by UIA to receive services through the RESEA program. 

Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.

Ken Coleman
Ken Coleman

Ken Coleman covers Southeast Michigan, economic justice and civil rights. He is a former Michigan Chronicle senior editor and served as the American Black Journal segment host on Detroit Public Television. He has written and published four books on black life in Detroit, including Soul on Air: Blacks Who Helped to Define Radio in Detroit and Forever Young: A Coleman Reader. His work has been cited by the Detroit News, Detroit Free Press, History Channel and CNN. Additionally, he was an essayist for the award-winning book, Detroit 1967: Origins, Impacts, Legacies. Ken has served as a spokesperson for the Michigan Democratic Party, Detroit Public Schools, U.S. Sen. Gary Peters and U.S. Rep. Brenda Lawrence. Previously to joining the Advance, he worked for the Detroit Federation of Teachers as a communications specialist. He is a Historical Society of Michigan trustee and a Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Detroit advisory board member.

MORE FROM AUTHOR