Line 5 protest | Laina G. Stebbins
Attorney General Dana Nessel has formally filed an appeal regarding a lower court’s ruling last on the proposed Line 5 tunnel through the Straits of Mackinac.
State Court of Claims Judge Michael Kelly last week said that Enbridge, the Canadian company that owns the pipeline, could commence with building a tunnel, as a Republican-backed law passed late last year intended. The ruling dealt a blow to Nessel, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and environmental advocates around the state who have pushed to have the pipeline decommissioned, fearing a catastrophic oil spill.
“We always expected this matter would be resolved in the appellate courts,” Nessel said in a statement. “While I disagree with Judge Kelly’s decision, I appreciate how promptly he addressed this case and issued his opinion. This is just the first step in the court process, and I am more resolved than ever to continue this fight on behalf of the people of Michigan.”
In a statement on Tuesday evening, Enbridge spokesman Ryan Duffy again stressed the company’s belief that a tunnel remains the best option.
“We continue to believe the tunnel is the best solution for Michigan and that Line 5 can continue to be safely operated during the period while the tunnel is being constructed. And we are committed to build it.”
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.