Advance Notice: Briefs

Two men charged with Whitmer kidnapping plot ordered to be retried

By: - July 5, 2022 11:05 am

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer at the Mackinac Policy Conference, June 1, 2022 | Laina G. Stebbins

Two men charged with plotting to kidnap Gov. Gretchen Whitmer have been called in for another trial after a trial in April ended with a split jury decision. 

Judge Robert Jonker ordered Thursday that Adam Fox, 39, and Barry Croft, 46, will stand before another jury to “weigh the evidence.”

On April 8, jurors in a federal court in Grand Rapids said Daniel Harris and Brandon Caserta, two other men allegedly involved in the plot, were not guilty, but didn’t come to a conclusion on whether Fox and Croft are guilty. 

All four had been charged with conspiring to kidnap Whitmer from her vacation home in northern Michigan in October 2020, as well as related weapons charges.

Jonker declared a mistrial in Fox’s and Croft’s cases.

After the first jury could not agree on whether the two men are guilty of conspiring to kidnap the governor, Attorney General Dana Nessel said she believed the jury got it wrong. 

Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.

Allison R. Donahue
Allison R. Donahue

Allison R. Donahue covers education, women's issues and LGBTQ issues. Previously, she was a suburbs reporter at the St. Cloud Times in St. Cloud, Minn., covering local education and government. As a graduate of Grand Valley State University, she has previous experience as a freelance researcher for USA Today and an intern with WOOD TV-8. When she is away from her desk, she spends her time going to concerts, comedy shows or getting lost on hikes in different places around the world.

MORE FROM AUTHOR