Oxford High School, Dec. 3, 2021 | Allison R. Donahue
To honor the victims of the shooting at Oxford High School last year, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer ordered Wednesday all U.S. and Michigan flags to be lowered to half-staff and a statewide moment of silence.
“It’s been one year since we lost four beautiful young souls in Oxford. One year since a community was changed forever,” Whitmer said in a statement Tuesday. “One year later, we honor the memories of Hana, Tate, Madisyn, and Justin and reaffirm our commitment to holding the Oxford community close. Words will never be enough to meet the scale of the loss that this town has been through. But all of Michigan sends its love, its prayers, and its commitment to working together to keep all our families and communities safe.”
On Nov. 30, 2021, a 15-year-old student brought a handgun to school and fatally shot four students — Madisyn Baldwin, Tate Myre, Hana St. Juliana and Justin Shilling, while injuring six other students and a teacher.
The shooter pleaded guilty in October to all 24 charges, including terrorism and first-degree murder. His parents, who purchased the weapon and gifted it to him, remain jailed on involuntary manslaughter charges.
“My family, and the entire state of Michigan, was shocked and heartbroken by the tragedy in Oxford last November,” said Lt. Governor Garlin Gilchrist II. “As we mark one year since that terrible day, let us reaffirm our commitment to healing and supporting the Oxford Community.”
Whitmer and Gilchrist encouraged Michiganders to join in on a moment of silence at 12:51 p.m. Wednesday to honor the students.
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.